Firefighters offer tips to prevent kitchen fires
MADISON, Wis. — Kitchen fires – they’re the most common call firefighters get across the country, and there’s bound to be more in the coming weeks with all the cooking that surrounds the holiday season.
Firefighters say although they’re the most common, they’re usually the least serious in terms of damage done – but Great Dane’s east side location knows firsthand how devastating a kitchen fire can be. The restaurant sustained $150,000 in damage after a grease fire broke out in mid-November.
“Getting people out safely was obviously my first concern, because we were really busy at the time,” general manager Brandon Shaw said.
The restaurant bar is back up and running, and the kitchen should return to service next week.
Like the Great Dane, most kitchen fire calls start with grease. Firefighters say that’s because people often don’t know how to correctly put them out.
“Putting water on a grease fire is a bad idea, because you tend to splatter the grease and spread the fire,” says Che Stedman, a firefighter with the Madison Fire Department.
He says the best response is to leave it to the pros.
“If a grease fire ever gets outside the cooking vessel that it’s in, people should certainly just evacuate people out of the house and call 911,” Stedman says.