Fire temporarily closes West Side McDonald’s restaurant

Responders revive woman who suffers heart attack at mall

A kitchen fire caused a McDonald’s restaurant on Madison’s far West Side to close for several hours on Sunday morning.

Madison firefighters responded to a report of a fire at the McDonald’s at 4687 Verona Road at about 8:45 a.m.

Fire crew said that they saw smoke from the roof of the structure. When they entered the structure, firefighters found a small fire in the deep fryer that had spread into the overhead hood system.

The restaurant manager had contained the fire with an extinguisher, but the smoke had vented from the hood system into the roof, according to a Madison Fire Department news release.

Firefighters worked quickly to clear the smoke and prevent further extension of the damage.

As is customary in restaurant fires, the public health department was notified of the fire, said Lori Wirth, spokeswoman for the Madison Fire Department.

Wirth said the restaurant was closed for several hours to ensure safety of both the building and the food.

The restaurant was expected to reopen by noon Sunday.

Most of the damage was from smoke, and restaurant employees were quick to manage the clean-up, Wirth said.

An investigator at the scene said the fire appears to be unintentional. Damage estimates are still being calculated.

Wirth said no one was injured.