Fire in dryer duct damages Madison laundry facility

Fire truck generic
WISC-TV/Channel3000.

MADISON, Wis. — A fire in a dryer duct damaged a commercial laundry facility in Madison Thursday.

Madison Fire Department crews were sent to the 1300 block of West Badger Road just before 10 a.m. after a fire alarm activated. A building manager said smoke could be seen coming from the roofline.

Crews were able to pinpoint the location of the fire in a dryer duct. They found smoke in the duct, but no obvious source of flames. Power to the dryers in the areas was shut down, and firefighters used thermal imaging to locate areas of high heat.

A team of firefighters went to the roof of the building and cut open a hole. The flames were eventually found underneath the rooftop and were extinguished. Crews confirmed that the fire was contained to wooden framing found near the flames.

Officials said the cause of the fire could not be confirmed, but that a seam in the dryer duct piping may have been to blame. Hot air leaking from the seam may have heated the wooden framing in the ceiling, which ultimately may have caused the fire.

No injuries were reported.