Fire evacuates Great Dane Pub; causes $150K in damage

Crews fight kitchen fire at east Madison restaurant
Fire evacuates Great Dane Pub; causes $150K in damage

A kitchen fire at an east Madison restaurant caused more than $150,000 in damage Saturday afternoon, officials said.

PHOTOS

Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Lori Wirth said firefighters responded to a report of a fire at the Great Dane Pub at 876 Jupiter Dr.

Wirth said the fire was reported in the kitchen area. At about 1:30 p.m., crews were working to find hotspots, but the fire had been knocked down.

The fire was reported in the kitchen. According to a release, the fire started when grease ignited in the ventilation shaft of the kitchen grill.

Officials said flames could be seen from the roof of the restaurant when crews arrived.

There were no injuries reported during the incident, according to the release. The damage was limited to the first floor kitchen and the third floor kitchen and bar area.

Wirth said the restaurant would be closed through the weekend.

According to the Great Dane website, the two-story east Madison location opened in November 2010.

The Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co., which includes four locations in Madison and one in Wausau, was celebrating its 20th anniversary this week with a variety of events and promotions.

On its Facebook page Saturday afternoon, the Great Dane east said its planned anniversary celebration event with a DJ would not take place Saturday night.

Comments

comments