Fire at east side home believed to be caused by cigarettes
MADISON, Wis. — A fire that damaged an apartment balcony on Madison’s east side was started by an improperly discarded cigarette, officials said.
Firefighters were called to the 200 block of North Thompson Drive just before 2:20 p.m. Saturday after a resident pulled a fire alarm. A third-floor balcony was smoldering.
Crews found that a hole had burned through the deck. The resident had smoked a cigarette on the balcony that morning and discarded it into a clay pot.
Officials said the hot pot burned through the balcony and fell onto the porch below. No injuries were reported and nobody was displaced.
The incident is estimated to have caused about $500 of damage.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.