Downtown apartment fire blamed on groceries left on stove
MADISON, Wis. — A fire at a downtown Madison apartment caused minimal damage thanks to a sprinkler system.
Madison Fire Department crews were sent to the apartment in the 300 block of West Washington Ave. just before 8:30 p.m. Monday after a fire alarm activated.
Crews went to the fourth floor and noticed a slight haze in the hallway. An automatic sprinkler head was found to have activated in one of the apartments, and the resident was inside gathering their things. A charred plastic bag of groceries was found on the stove.
Officials said the person had left the groceries on the stove so that they could leave and move their car. The person was not sure how the stove may have been turned on but guessed that they had bumped a dial when setting the groceries down.
The sprinkler above the stove activated because of the heat of the fire, and quickly put it out. The groceries were the only thing damaged and no injuries were reported.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.