Family, friends ID firefighter killed in Sun Prairie explosion

Family, friends ID firefighter killed in Sun Prairie explosion
Patrick DePula
Cory Barr and family

The firefighter who was killed Tuesday night in the Sun Prairie explosion has been identified by friends and family as Cory Barr.

Barr owned the Barr House and was the captain of the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department.

Barr’s wife, Abby Barr, posted on Facebook Wednesday morning thanking the police, firefighters, family and friends who helped overnight.

“Trying to find the words, and not sure how I can. The husband, the father of my children, a son, an uncle, a brother, and so many other things was taken from this world tonight way too soon,” Abby Barr wrote on Facebook.

Patrick DePula is the owner and chef at Salvatore Tomato Pies, and like many people in Sun Prairie, he says he didn’t sleep much Tuesday night.

“By far, the most tragic part of the evening is Capt. Cory Barr, from the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department, passed away due to injuries sustained in the accident. He also owned the Barr House,” DePula said.

DePula emphasized that Sun Prairie’s Fire Department is a volunteer fire department. He said there are no braver people on the planet.

“I just keep thinking about that family and how this brave firefighter lost his life fighting this tragedy,” DePula said.

DePula said the Barrs have twin girls.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Sun Prairie Fire Department and the family of the fire fighter who died yesterday in the gas explosion in downtown Sun Prairie. The DCSO will be there to support the community and first responders in any way we can.

— Dane County Sheriff (@DaneSheriff) July 11, 2018

In a statement Wednesday afternoon, Wisconsin’s Attorney General Brad Schimel called the incident devastating, saying “This tragedy is a heartbreaking reminder that those who rush into danger to protect the public put their lives on the line for us every day. Our thoughts and prayers are with this brave public servant’s family and all of his colleagues in fire service.”