East side Great Dane fully reopens after fire
Fire caused $150K in damage to kitchen area in November
MADISON, Wis. — Six weeks after a fire shut down the Great Dane on Madison’s east side, the restaurant is reopening, according to a release.
The Nov. 15 fire caused $150,000 in damage in the kitchen area when grease ignited in the ventilation shaft of the kitchen grill.
The bar area opened the first week of December, but due to renovations the kitchen stayed closed until Monday, according to the release.
There were no injuries reported during the incident, and the damage was limited to the first floor kitchen and the third floor kitchen and bar area.
“Most of the restaurant’s employees rely on their jobs at the Great Dane for livelihood,” said Ted Peterson, director of operations for the Great Dane Pub and Brewing Company. “We are thankful that no one was hurt, the greatest hardship the staff had to overcome was intermittent work during the holiday season.”
According to the Great Dane website, the two-story east Madison location opened in November 2010.
The Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co., which includes four locations in Madison and one in Wausau, was celebrating its 20th anniversary the week of the fire with a variety of events and promotions.