East side duplex fire caused by improper handling of grilling materials
MADISON, Wis. — Several residents of a far east side duplex are temporarily displaced after a fire spread through the building Monday afternoon, officials said.
Madison Fire Department spokesperson Bernadette Galvez said firefighters were called to the duplex in the 3800 block of Sunbrook Road at 3:02 p.m. for a report of a fire in the back of the home. One of the residents had tried to extinguish the fire before calling 911.
Firefighters say heavy black smoke was coming from the back of the home, Galvez said in a news release. After searching the home to make sure no one was inside, firefighters headed to the back of the house, where they found flames burning the siding and traveling into the eves and the attic. Crews were able to put out the fire quickly, the release said.
The residents of the damaged portion of the building will be staying with family while the damage is repaired, while the residents of the other side of the duplex were able to remain in their home, the release said.
The fire was caused by improper handling of grilling material and resulted in $30,000 in damage, the release said.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.