Downtown fire call prompts hazmat response

Firefighters: Smoke result of chemical reaction
Downtown fire call prompts hazmat response

The Madison Fire Department said a hazmat team was called to a smoking trash compactor Thursday morning because of a strong smell of ammonia at the scene.

Fire crews were called to the Concourse Hotel at 1 W. Dayton St. at 9:15 a.m. when smoke was noticed coming from a trash compactor in the loading dock area.

A hazmat sample taken from the compactor showed the contents to be harmless and the smoke was the result of a chemical reaction, according to Madison firefighters.

A contractor will remove the trash compactor and dispose of the contents.

The incident is not considered suspicious.

Comments

comments