Damage estimates near $1,000 after fire on UW campus

Damage estimates near $1,000 after fire on UW campus

Streets have been re-opened after firefighters responded to a report of a fire at a University of Madison campus physics building.

Madison fire crews were on the scene Friday afternoon at a reported small-electrical fire on the corner of University Avenue and Charter Street at Chamberlin Hall, according to a release from UW Madison.

According to a report from the Madison Fire Department, students and staff had already evacuated the building by the time crews arrived. The fire started in a room with high voltage electrical equipment.

Fire fighters had a difficult time getting to the fire once inside the building. According to the report, the room was described as cramped.

Fire crews were forced to ventilate the building, but people were allowed to return to the building once the smoke had dissipated.

Officals said the damage cost is estimated at $1000. No one was injured. 

The 1100 block of University Avenue was shut down at 2 p.m but was re-opened.