Two hospitalized after duplex explosion in Janesville
Rock County Dispatch confirms several reports of an explosion in Janesville Monday night
JANESVILLE, Wis. — Two people were taken to the hospital following a house explosion in Janesville Monday night.
The home is located along the 800 block of Hawthorne Avenue, north of downtown Janesville.
Officials with the Janesville Police Department said the explosion was caused by a lit cigarette and a natural gas leak. The fire department says their initial investigation shows one of the residents said they smelled gas before the other resident lit a cigarette, sparking the explosion at about 9:15 p.m. Monday.
One of those residents is being treated for minor injuries, the other is in serious condition with severe burns, according to the fire department.
A dog that was inside the home is also being treated by a veterinarian for serious burns.
A person living on the other side of the duplex was not injured and is staying with family Tuesday morning. The duplex is considered a total loss.
The Janesville Fire Department will be back on the scene Tuesday morning to continue their investigation.
This is a developing story. Stay with News 3 Now and Channel 3000 for updates.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.