Crews respond to trash compactor fire outside St. Vincent de Paul Society building
MADISON, Wis. — A trash compactor, connected to a St. Vincent de Paul Society building, caught on fire Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 1100 block of Jonathon Dr. around 2:15 p.m., according to a release by the Madison Fire Department.
They arrived to find smoke and flames inside the compactor which was connected to the building, the release said. Crews were able to keep the fire from spreading.
Pellitteri Waste Systems also responded to pull the trash compactor away from the building.
After the contents of the compactor were unloaded in the parking lot, 600 additional gallons of water were used to put out the fire, the release said.
The compactor was full of a variety of discarded items, including a vacuum and battery-operated toys.
The building was ventilated to clear the area of smoke, the release said.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.