Contractor strikes gas line causing 300 to lose service in Verona

Contractor strikes gas line causing 300 to lose service in Verona
Copyright 2019 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
File photo

Hundreds of customers in Verona are without gas service after a contractor hit a line Tuesday afternoon, a company spokesman told News 3 Now.

Madison Gas and Electric spokesman Steve Schultz said the line was struck in the 1100 block of Prairie Way Circle at about 2:15 p.m.

The Verona Police Department said the leak was near an assisted living and memory care facility that had to be evacuated because of the odor of natural gas in the building. An adjacent apartment community was also evacuated.

Police said that in total, about 120 people were displaced for about an hour until MGE declared the area safe. The residents were evacuated to a nearby business. Badger Bus also provided several buses for the displaced residents.

Crews were in the process of making repairs Tuesday afternoon and gas in the area was turned off. Schultz said crews will need to relight pilot lights for the customers who have lost gas services. He said he expected gas could be restored within a few hours.

Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.