Chemicals combined accidentally sicken east side resident, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — An east side resident was displaced for a couple of nights after she got sick when two chemicals were accidentally mixed together during repair work at her home, officials said.
The Elmside Boulevard resident became ill and her cats unusually aggressive following repair work done in her home Wednesday, according to a release.
Officials said her illness and the cats’ behavior were linked to a mix of chemicals in the basement.
The woman’s water heater’s pilot light also went out during the project. According to a plumber, the pilot light went out due to a safety feature that turns off the pilot light if its sensor detects something potentially dangerous in the air, according to the release.
The repair work, which took place two days before the fire department was called to the woman’s house, focused on sealing cracks in the basement floor and wall, officials said. Firefighters responded after workers said there was an odor in the home that needed to be monitored and investigated.
Firefighters noticed the odor, but air monitors showed normal oxygen levels, no carbon monoxide and no indication of a natural gas leak, according to the release.
The homeowner contacted the company that was doing the repair work and determined two chemicals were accidentally mixed together, officials said. HazMat crews determined the chemicals were not explosive, but are known to give off a strong odor and could be carcinogenic.
The repair company made arrangements for the homeowners to stay at a hotel for a few days until the house could be ventilated, according to the release.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.