Chemical spill sends dozens of Mauston students to hospital
Gordon Olson Middle School evacuated Friday due to chemical leak at pool
MAUSTON, Wis. — Dozens of students at a Mauston middle school were taken to the hospital after a reported chemical spill Friday morning.
Mauston fire Chief Kim Hale said a pool hose came off at Gordon Olson Middle School causing a chemical to leak at about 10:30 a.m.
In a combined statement received Friday afternoon from the Mauston School District, police and fire departments, officials called the incident a chemical pool system failure. Officials also said parents of the students who were transported to Hess Memorial Hospital for evaluation were notified immediately by phone.
Approximately 40 students were taken to the hospital as a precaution, Hale said.
Gordon Olson Middle School said the school was evacuated and students and staff were taken the Mauston High School gym.
Hale said shortly after noon that the leak was contained.
The middle school said in an advisory online that parents of the children taken to the hospital will be notified by the school nurse.
The remaining students were safe at the high school and will be transported home at the end of the regular school day, GOMS said in a statement.
Hale said the middle school will stay empty for the rest of Friday and be ventilated.