Catholic priest Nolan to accuser: ‘I’ll never forget the way he has ruined my life’
“I knew I was telling the truth, and I knew there were so many inconsistencies with the accuser’s stories and I felt that that would eventually be discovered,” Nolan told reporters after the jury found him not guilty.
He was accused of sexually assaulting an altar boy more than 100 times over the span of four years starting in 2006 when the boy was 13.
The family of the now 26-year-old accuser declined to comment to News 3 Now after the verdict.
When News 3 Now asked Nolan what he would like to say to the accuser, he said: “I’m a Catholic priest and I’m supposed to forgive. And I think I can do that. But I’ll never forget. I’ll never forget the way he has ruined my life.”
— Rose Schmidt (@RoseSchmidtTV) September 13, 2019
When asked how he was feeling about his acquittal, Nolan said “relieved” and described the five-day trial as “very, very stressful.”
As for his next steps, Nolan said he plans to talk to the Diocese of Madison about getting back into ministry and helping a limited amount. He said he does plan to go back to Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish in Madison, where he had been filling in prior to his arrest.
Many spectators in the courtroom could not hold back cheers and tears after Nolan was exonerated.
His niece, Cari Kazik, said the family was “beyond emotional.”
“Everyone’s heard his voice and knows that he is free, the truth came out and he deserves nothing but all that,” Kazik said.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.