Cat killed in fire started in ‘illegal’ bedroom

2 people escape house fire
Cat killed in fire started in ‘illegal’ bedroom

A cat died in a Tuesday morning fire that started in what the Madison Fire Department calls an illegal basement bedroom.

Firefighters were called to 3201 Thorp Street just before 7 a.m. for a report of a fire, and found smoke coming from several windows when they arrived. The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes.

Two occupants were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms and escaped safely.
Fire officials said the fire started in a basement bedroom that didn’t have a second exit for a fire escape.

Damage is estimated at $15,000.

The home didn’t have 10-year lithium battery tamper-resistant smoke detectors, as required by city ordinance, according to investigators.

26074900