Carbon monoxide leak sends 2 hotel guests to hospital

Carbon monoxide leak sends 2 hotel guests to hospital

A carbon monoxide leak Saturday night briefly sickened hotel guests in Madison, officials said.

The Madison Fire Department said crews responded at about 9 p.m. to a report of people passing out in the stairwell at the Doubletree Hotel on West Johnson Street.

Madison Fire Department paramedics and firefighters were dispatched to the Doubletree to check on two people who had reportedly passed out after leaving the pool area. Crews arrived to find a group of eight to 10 people in the stairwell who said they’d just spent about an hour in the pool and hot tub area. After two of their relatives passed out, they called 911.

While crews assessed the patients, a carbon monoxide monitor stored inside a bag began to sound, officials said. A firefighter grabbed the Sensit meter and began investigating the air quality.

Inside the stairwell, where the family had congregated, air monitors showed carbon monoxide readings of 150 parts per million, according to the fire department. Everyone was told to evacuate, and firefighters stepped outside to put on their turnout gear and self-contained breathing apparatuses.

Inside the pool room, they found 400 ppm of carbon monoxide, and inside the boiler room for the pool, readings peaked at 2,000-2,500 ppm, fire officials said.

Firefighters opened multiple doors to begin ventilating, and MGE responded to assist with identifying the carbon monoxide source. MGE determined an exhaust pipe on one of the boilers had fallen off and was discharging exhaust into the room.

Fire department officials said that after clearing the air in the boiler room and pool area, firefighters checked adjacent hotel rooms and the other floors for elevated levels of CO. No other hotel guests complained of illnesses.

MGE worked with maintenance on boiler repairs and additional air monitoring.

The patients’ conditions began to improve once they were taken outside, according to the report. They were taken to the hospital for further treatment and monitoring.

Comments

comments