Beloit police withdraw offer to inspect homes for illegal weapons
Officials site possible legal concerns
The Beloit Police Department announced Tuesday it will be withdrawing its offer to inspect homes for illegal weapons.
The initiative was suggested by Chief Norm Jacobs as a way to help the community deal with gun-related violence, according to the release. So far in 2014, there have been more than 50 shots fired incidents and six of eight homicides that happened in the city were because of gun violence.
Officials said that even though the program was voluntary and required a signed release, numerous individuals have expressed concerns about the fact that people’s homes would be searched as part of the process.
“At this time, the department is withdrawing its offer under this initiative, and will be submitting the program to the city’s legal office for further review,” the release said.