Basement fire caught early thanks to smoke detector, fire officials say
MADISON, Wis. – The residents of an Old Gate Road residence caught a basement fire early, thanks to their smoke detector.
Madison fire officials said the residents heard the basement smoke detector going off around 7 p.m. Sunday. They went downstairs and found a dehumidifier was on fire. Officials said one person grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire, which was contained to the basement appliance.
Firefighters arrived at 7:12 p.m. and removed the dehumidifier from the home. Upon further inspection, fire officials determined there were no other hazards. Smoke dissipated from the basement quickly and the family was able to stay in the home.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.