Attempt to drill into SUV gas tank ignites fuel, MFD says
No injuries reported; fire out as crews arrive
An attempt to drain an old SUV’s gas tank Tuesday afternoon caused a fire on Madison’s east side, fire officials said.
The Madison Fire Department said it received multiple reports at about 12:30 p.m. of thick black smoke coming from a property in the 2300 block of South Stoughton Road.
According to the report, when crews arrived, several people were gathered at the rear of an auto repair business. A gas tank from an SUV was lying on the cement.
The shop’s employees told firefighters they removed the gas tank from an older-model Chevy Blazer and were attempting to drain approximately 4 gallons of gasoline from it. To empty the tank, one employee attempted to drill a hole in it and ignited the fuel in the process.
Employees put out the fire using a dry chemical extinguisher before the fire department arrived, the report said. Firefighters cooled the tank with a garden hose supplied by employees and placed a product around the tank to absorb the excess fuel that had spilled.
Nobody reported any injuries, the fire department said. A supervisor told firefighters that the shop doesn’t normally use a drill for to drain old gas tanks and it wasn’t clear why it was attempted.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.