Athletes take to Capitol Square for CrossFit Games
MADISON, Wis. — People in downtown Madison Friday likely saw something a little different on the Capitol Square: athletes from the 2022 NOBULL CrossFit Games took to the steps outside the Capitol for part of their competition.
Athletes ran 3.5 miles from the Alliant Energy Center to the Capitol Square, where they then carried weights up and down the steps on the State Street entrance to the building as fans cheered them on.
“It’s great for the first time to have something right in the heart of downtown, State Street, the Capitol, everything that is iconic Madison, to have that marriage of these games — which are so important to our community and economy — in the heart of what makes Madison Madison,” Rob Gard with Destination Madison said.
The event has brought people from across the country and the world to the Badger State.
Among the visitors who made the trip is Peta Rovelli from Brisbane, Australia.
“We’ve come to watch the CrossFit Games and watch the Aussies dominate,” she said with a laugh.
Gard said the event brings about $12 million annually to the region’s economy.
The final day of the games on Sunday will air on WISC-TV from noon to 2 p.m.
To learn more about the event, click here.
- Thousands of CrossFit enthusiasts visit Madison as 2022 games kick off
- Former Badgers competing in CrossFit Games
- Roads in downtown Madison to be closed Friday for CrossFit Games event
- CrossFit staff install finishing touches to ready Alliant for 2022 Games
- In the 608: NOBULL CrossFit Games return to Madison
- ‘We’ve been really pleased with the city’: CrossFit Games to return to Madison in 2023
Photojournalist Brian Mesmer contributed to this report.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.