Adult, child transported for smoke inhalation in kitchen fire

Fire causes estimated $10,000 in damage to 8-unit apartment building, officials say
Adult, child transported for smoke inhalation in kitchen fire

An adult and a child were transported for possible smoke inhalation after a fire on Madison’s west side Thursday afternoon, according to a release.

Around 3:30 p.m., the city of Madison Fire Department responded to 50 S. Gammon Road for a fire in a second floor apartment, officials said. A resident of the eight-unit apartment building called 911 after hearing a smoke detector and noticing smoke in the hallway.

Crews reported seeing smoke from a second story window, according to the release. Firefighters found moderate smoke throughout the hallway and saw several people leaving the building.

As firefighters were getting ready to go into an apartment, a person bolted out of the residence and collapsed at the top of the stairs, officials said. Firefighters assisted her to the ambulance. A young child was also home during the fire, but was found safe outside.

Both were transported to UW Hospital and are expected to be treated and released, according to the release. A second child lives in the home, but was in school at the time of the fire.

The fire caused significant damage to the kitchen area and smoke damage throughout the apartment building and hallway, officials said. The fire, which started in the kitchen, is estimated to have caused $10,000 in damage.

A total of 34 personnel responded to the scene, and Red Cross was called to assist the displaced residents.