At least 2 dead in Kenosha senior living facility fire
KENOSHA, Wis. — Multiple people are dead following a Monday night fire at a senior living facility in Kenosha, the city’s fire department said.
The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. at the Saxony Manor Apartments in the 1800 block of 22nd Avenue, the department said in a news release Tuesday morning. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found toxic smoke filling the entire building and the west side of the building engulfed in flames.
Within 30 minutes, firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control.
Firefighters searching the building found two people dead after the fire, one of whom is believed to have died as a result of the fire, the release said. Officials believe the other person suffered an unrelated medical event that led to their death.
Another person died later at a hospital from injuries they suffered in the blaze.
Firefighters had to rescue multiple people from the building, including two people trapped in upper level units who were rescued using ladder trucks.
As of late Tuesday morning, two people remained unaccounted for, but the department said it does not believe they are inside the building.
Officials are set to give an update on the fire during a news conference set for 3 p.m.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.