From the beginning of this endeavor, I've counted on you to help me help those in our community who might be susceptible to believing the spam/scam emails being sent their way.
I am more than happy and willing to cede any authority I have on this subject to you all. Today, courtesy of Joel Freeman, we have a Spam Report submission plus an honest-to-goodness debunking that's better than anything I could present.
Without further ado, I present his email and thank him for his service to the cause.
Since it's my shtick, I will simply add the phrase: Just hit delete.
"Mr. Schrager -
I thought you'd enjoy this one for more than just the usual bad spelling and grammar. Case in point: "monitory" is an actual word, but it is related to admonition, or warning, not pecuniary assets like "monetary."
Let's look at other questionable details:
- The unrestrained use of name-dropping, with the UN, IMF, World Bank, the governments of the US and Benin all somehow working in concert to my benefit.
- The IMF Financial Monitory Office's Benin (Africa) unit sends email from Romania.
- The reply address for a prestigious global financial behemoth is a free Yahoo account.
- The director of the US IMF Monitory Department/Unit (it doesn't know which it is) has a Yahoo email account originating in Malaysia.
- I have to pay *them* a $188 "consulting fee" so I can have my $7.2 million -- and through Western Union at that -- if I can't just pop in at their west African address to pocket the cash in person. They don't trust me enough to pay them from the proceeds, I guess.
- I'm supposed to keep it all under wraps until the "secret service" catches all the criminals involved in the fraudulent activity that made this excessive restitution necessary and possible.
This offer is about as attractive as contracting a "mild" case of ebola. Hemorrhage, anyone?
Let me know if you use it on the teevee. You do have my permission.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IMF REGULATORY OFFICE <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Subject: Urgent Attention Needed
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND(IMF)
FINANCIAL MONITORY DEPARTMENT/UNIT.
100 Broad Street Main Ave Benin Republic, 2014
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF)
International Monetary Fund,
Committee on policy harmonization west Africa.
Urgent Attention .
We are pleased to inform you that we are the International Monetary Fund (IMF) set up by the United Nations in conjunction with the World Bank Based on series of petitions we received from International Bodies such as Cooperate Bodies and Non-Governmental
After the meeting held on yesterday,your name was listed for compensation payment as one of the scammed victims to be paid $7.2million USD .as compensations. On this faithful recommendations, I want you to know that during the last meetings held at Coton
In other to compensate victims, the U.N Body is now paying 10 victims of this operators $7.2million USD each in accordance with the U.N.recommendations. Due to the corrupt and inefficient Banking Systems,the payments are to be paid by Central Bank of wes
reason what so ever as the U.S. secret service is already on trace of the other criminals. So keep it secret till they are all apprehended. Other victims who have not been contacted can submit their application as well for scrutiny and possible considerat
Listen to me now, you have nothing to pay for the transfer of this your funds into your account, if you will not be able to come down here by yourself to sign the certificate of fund release order of the funds, you will contact the central bank of west Af
Your full name
Your Direct telephone number,
Mobile Phone Number
Contact us with this email(email@example.com) we are waiting for your response to commence with the transfer immediately.
Your personal code:
Payment Reference No.-35460021, Allocation No:
674632 Password No : 339331 , Pin Code No: 55674 and your
Certificate of Merit Payment No : 103 , Released Code
No: 0763; Immediate Telex confirmation No: -1114433 ; Secret
Code No: XXTN013 ,
We are expecting your urgent response to this email to know if you will be able to come down here or send the $188 for the consultation fee,
HERE IS THE INFORMATION YOU WILL USE TO SEND THE $188 THROUGH WESTERN
UNION OR MONEY GRAM.
Receiver's Name:--------Okwudili Williams
Sender's Moblie Phone number----------
CHRISTINE LAGARDE IMF DIRECTOR
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND(IMF)
FINANCIAL MONITORY DEPARTMENT/UNIT