If you’ve ever worked at a place that has a communal kitchen you’ve probably dealt with a dirty microwave. I’ve always wondered why everyone who uses the communal microwave doesn’t just cover their food when it’s heating up, but that little step always seems to get missed.
Here at News 3 I’ve seen our microwave pretty dirty. But someone must clean it on a regular basis because when I decided to try out a DIY mixture of water and lemon juice to clean the newsroom microwave it was cleaner than I was expecting. It had some splatters around the sides, but the biggest issue was a pretty large circle of something that resembled cheese that was completely dried on.
The cleaning process is pretty simple and worked really well. You take a microwave safe bowl and fill it halfway with water and the other half with lemon juice. You don’t want to fill it too full because after you put the mixture in the microwave for 10 minutes it will be boiling when you try to take it out.
After 10 minutes in the newsroom microwave I dipped some paper towels in the bubbling mixture and the splatters wiped right off. Thanks to the steam from the mixture the large circle of crusty nasty came off, but not without a little elbow grease. I’ve never seen the newsroom microwave look so nice!
DIY do or don’t? This one definitely works. I have tried this on my own microwave and if it can clean the newsroom microwave it can definitely clean anything. The steam from the bubbling mixture basically breaks down the dried-on splatters, which makes it easier to wipe them away. Using the hot lemon juice and water mixture to wipe away the food splatters works really well and your microwave smells like lemons afterwards, not chemicals.
The best part is you can use the leftover mixture to clean your garbage disposal -- just drop some ice cubes in with the leftover water and lemon juice and turn it on. The ice will knock off any food particles and the lemon juice will deodorize!