Heat advisory issued through Friday
People encouraged to seek AC
Local health officials are reminding those struggling with the hot, humid weather in Wisconsin that there are places to cool off.
The National Weather Service issued a Heat Advisory for Dane, Columbia, Grant, Green, Green Lake, Iowa, Lafayette, Richland and Marquette counties through 7 p.m. Friday. The heat advisory area extends to the north and west of southern Wisconsin.
News 3 meteorologist Karin Swanson said temperatures should hit the low 90s in southern Wisconsin through Thursday, with heat index values as hot as the middle and upper 90s. A cold front will pass through southern Wisconsin Friday, ushering in cooler and less humid conditions for the weekend.
Madison city officials said they will work with shelter providers like Porchlight and the Salvation Army to monitor overnight occupancy, but there is no plan to open an additional overnight shelter. Anyone without air conditioning is encouraged to visit public buildings like malls, libraries, theaters and senior centers to get out of the heat.
Eight public libraries in Marathon County have been designated as cooling centers. Public works employees and others who work outside in sweltering conditions often put in long hours in uncomfortable clothing.
Wausau public works superintendent Don Skare said he tells his employees to keep hydrated, pace themselves and take enough breaks. The Daily Herald Media reported Skare provides large coolers full of Gatorade at work sites.
Adam’s County Emergency Management has announced several cooling centers that will be available during normal business hours to the public through Friday.
- Adams County Library at 569 N. Cedar Street, Adams (Wed. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thur. 1 to 7 p.m., Fri. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Adams County Community Center at 569 N. Cedar Street, Adams (Wed. - Fri. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- Friendship Connections at 252 South Main Street, Adams – entrance is in back of building (Wed. - Fri. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Moundview Memorial Hospital Solarium Room at 402 West Lake Street, Friendship (Wed. - Fri. 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Rome Town Hall at 1156 Alpine Drive, corner of Highway 13 and D (Wed. - Fri. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Copyright 2013 by Channel 3000. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.