MADISON, Wis. - A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for Dane, Lafayette, Green, Rock, Iowa, Dodge, Jefferson, and Grant counties until 9 p.m.
Hot and humid conditions were in place across southern Wisconsin early Friday afternoon with heat index values ranging from 95 to 105.
A cold front is expected to sink southward through the state. Scattered showers and thunderstorms are possible ahead of the front.
Some of the storm may be strong to severe, especially in far southeastern Wisconsin. The main threats will be damaging winds and large hail.
The severe weather threat will end this evening with the passage of the cold front. It'll still be warm, but a little less humid tomorrow.
A heat advisory is also in effect for Dane County and areas to the south until 6 p.m.
- 4 dead as tornado hits Alabama community
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Again, we just experienced the hottest year on record
- Lack of sand for roads prompts Wisconsin Dells school closure, official says
- Rome's subway evacuated as powerful earthquakes rock Italy
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK