(CNN) -- Pointing to "an impermissible legal theory on which the jury based its award," a federal judge on Friday ordered a new trial on key aspects of the legal battle between Samsung and Apple -- in the process, striking more than $450 million that a jury last August ordered Samsung to pay Apple. The jury had awarded Apple a total of more than $1 billion in damages after finding Samsung had copied both the design and software features of the iPhone.
Latest Technology Headlines
- NASA shares image of massive 'Hexagon'
- Inside CERN's $10 billion collider
- Reddit to the rescue: Strangers find lost dog
- Amid Mandela tributes, fake quotes creep in
- Someone bought a $100,000 Tesla with Bitcoins
- Ryan Seacrest wants to pimp your iPhone
- Microsoft fights back against NSA 'snooping'
- 2M Facebook, Gmail, Twitter passwords stolen
- Microsoft develops 'smart' bra
- Snapchat ads closer to reality