Wisconsin Badgers volleyball is headed to the Sweet 16.
In their first NCAA Tournament action since 2007, Wisconsin throttled Milwaukee in straight sets Friday night. Saturday at the UW-Fieldhouse, they made short work of Cal as well. Wisconsin won their second round NCAA Tournament match 3-0 (25-19, 25-18, 25-21).
In the first set, UW battled Cal to a 13-12 start, but Deme Morales led the Badgers on a 7-1 run, and UW took the set 25-19.
In set number two, Wisconsin got off to a fast start. Courtney Thomas' kill gave the Badgers a 7-3 lead. From there, the Bears couldn't pull even as Wisconsin cruised to take the set 25-18.
In set three, it was the Bears who got off to a fast start. A Thomas error gave Cal a 10-4 lead. Cal led until an error by Cal's Lillian Shonewise brought Wisconsin to a 16-16 tie. The two exchanged points until Wisconsin closed out the third set on a 5-1 run, capped off by an Ellen Chapman kill to win the match.
With the win, Wisconsin travels to Champaign, Ill. to play Florida State on December 13.
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Harden leads Rockets past Bucks, 111-92
- Packers WR Adams not expected to practice until weekend
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot