WHITEWATER - UW-Whitewater and UW-Stevens Point opened the NCAA Division Three baseball regional at Prucha Field in Whitewater with victories Wednesday.
Whitewater scored single runs in the seventh and eighth to defeat Case Western, 2-0.
Warhawks pitcher Tom Kerndt (8-1) fired a complete game shutout allowing just two hits while striking out five.
Whitewater had RBI hits from Steve Bartlein and Marty Herum to get the win.
Stevens Point had to go extra innings to defeat Benedictine, 6-5..
Ryan Schilter's bases loaded single in the 10th was the difference.
Whitewater will face their WIAC rival, Stevens Point Thursday night at 6.
In the other game played at the NCAA Regional Wednesday, St. Scholastica defeated St. Thomas 1-0.VIDEO: Whitewater, Stevens Point win NCAA baseball openers
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers