Adam Wainwright extended his sterling start to the season -- and Washington's mediocre one -- by coming within two outs of his second shutout, leading the St. Louis Cardinals past the Nationals 2-0 Tuesday night.
The right-hander (4-1) lowered his ERA to 1.93 by going 8 1-3 scoreless innings, allowing only five hits.
Edward Mujica got the final two outs for his third save.
Allen Craig and Carlos Beltran drove in runs in the fourth off Nationals lefty Ross Detwiler (1-1), who gave up eight hits across six innings.
The Nationals, who led the majors with 98 wins last season and were a popular pick to do well in 2013, lost for the eighth time in their past 11 games to fall to 10-10.
- Ilie Nastase suspended from tennis after Fed Cup outbursts
- Despite late runs, Cardinals beat Brewers, 6-4
- Badgers fall to Wolverines in series finale
- Thomas scores 33, Celtics beat Bulls 104-95 to tie series
- Hicks, Fulmer and Tigers rout slumping Twins 13-4
- Bronson Arroyo goes 6 innings, leads Reds over Cubs 7-5