MADISON, Wis - The Verona Wildcats beat Green Bay Notre Dame 1-0 Friday night in the state hockey semifinals at the Alliant Energy Center. They will play for the state title Saturday at 2:45 p.m.
Verona's Charlie Parker scored the lone goal in the first period. Wildcat goalie Alex Jones made 36 saves.
The Tritons were ranked No. 1 entering the game. Verona is ranked second.
Last year Verona beat Green Bay Notre Dame in the semifinals and then lost 6-1 in the state final the next day.
This is Verona's sixth trip to state and they are in search of the school's first state hockey title.
"We didn't have anything to lose, people do not expect us to win and the pressure is harder on them, and when they get bottled up and feel that pressure and we knew if we kept it close we would have a chance," Verona Head Coach Joel Marshall said.
"The first thing we said was we have one more hopefully learning from our experience last year, we got up on this game so much we kind of exerted ourselves, and hopefully we are able to recoup and be ready to go."
"This year our motto is, 'Hustle desire and discipline,' and that main thing is desire and that is what we used," Verona goalie Alex Jones said.
- Reports: Larry Bird stepping down as Pacers president
- No new names join Packers during first round of NFL draft
- Raptors blow 25-point lead, but beat Bucks 92-89
- Steelers select TJ Watt with 30th pick
- Ryan Ramczyk selected by Saints with 32nd pick
- Bears trade up, take QB Mitch Trubisky with No. 2 pick