TEMPE, Ariz. - Luis Valbuena got off to a great start in his bid to win more playing time with the Cubs, hitting a home run that helped Chicago beat a Los Angeles Angels split squad 11-2 Saturday in the spring training opener for both teams.
Cubs left-hander Travis Wood and Angels right-hander Jerome Williams each went two innings. Both pitchers are trying to win a rotation spot.
Brett Jackson tripled twice for the Cubs.
Valbuena, one of three players in the running for the team's starting third base position, homered to the opposite field off Williams in the second inning. Valbuena also went deep in an intrasquad game Friday.
Valbuena hit .219 with four homers and 28 RBIs in 265 at-bats for the Cubs last season.
- Australian Open 2017: Nadal beats Zverev in four-hour epic
- Rodgers: Cold-flu won't keep him from game vs. Falcons
- Gov. Walker declares Friday ‘Green and Gold Day'
- Adams may be game-time decision on Sunday for Green Bay
- Sprained toe won't keep Jones from playing against Packers
- Pitcher Feliz joins Brewers, in mix for closer job