MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Backup catcher Chris Stewart's single keyed a three-run burst in the ninth inning against Francisco Rodriguez and sent the Pittsburgh Pirates past Milwaukee 4-1 Wednesday night, ending the Brewers' three-game winning streak.
Rodriguez (1-1) had given up only one run in 21 innings in his first 21 games. But the Pirates tagged the Milwaukee closer for four consecutive hits to beat the Brewers for only the second time in nine games.
Milwaukee managed only six hits minus Carlos Gomez. The star center fielder dropped his appeal Wednesday and began a three-game suspension for his part in a bench-clearing fracas at Pittsburgh on Easter Sunday.
Stewart hit an RBI single for a 2-1 lead. Starling Marte, playing for the first time since exiting Saturday with tightness in his back, then hit a two-run double.
Tony Watson (4-0) pitched a scoreless eighth and Mark Melancon got his fifth save in six chances.
- No. 11 Wisconsin beat No. 23 Maryland, 71-60
- Antetokounmpo can't bring All-Star team victory
- Michigan State's Harris out with season-ending knee injury
- Another shootout for No. 1 Wisconsin and No. 4 Minnesota
- Murphy, Minnesota outlast Michigan, 83-78
- Little change for local teams in AP boys basketball poll