SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Pablo Sandoval hit a towering home run, the only blemish for Carlos Villanueva on Sunday, and the San Francisco Giants beat the Chicago Cubs 9-7.
Gregor Blanco drove in two runs for the Giants, who are losing eight players to the World Baseball Classic after this weekend.
Villanueva, a candidate for the Cubs starting rotation, gave up one run on four hits over three innings. He walked one and struck out two.
Yusmeiro Petit gave the Giants a nice outing in place of Tim Lincecum, who was scratched because of a blister on his right middle finger. Petit gave up a hit in three innings with one strikeout.
Steve Clevenger had two hits and drove in two runs and Dioner Navarro added two RBIs for the Cubs.
- Kawhi Leonard scores 29 as Spurs put out Grizzlies
- No new names join Packers during first round of NFL draft
- Steelers select TJ Watt with 30th pick
- Ryan Ramczyk selected by Saints with 32nd pick
- Raptors blow 25-point lead, but beat Bucks 92-89
- Pirates beat Cubs 6-5 as Ngoepe becomes first African in MLB