PROVIDENCE, RI - Bryce Cotton hit two free throws with seven seconds left in the second overtime to give Providence an 81-80 win over Marquette in a Big East men's basketball game in Providence Tuesday night.
In the second overtime, Davante Gardner made a layup and Todd Mayo hit two free throws to give the Golden Eagles an 80-77 lead with 28 seconds left.
But LaDontae Henton made a basket, and Cotton followed with his game winning free throws.
Mayo missed a jumper at the end of the second overtime that would have won the game for Marquette.
Mayo led all scorers with 26 points and also had 11 rebounds.. Gardner had 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Golden Eagles.
Cotton led the Friars with 25 points and Henton added 20.
Marquette is now 17-13 overall and 9-8 in the Big East. Providence moves to 20-10 overall and 10-7 in the conference.
- Reports: Larry Bird stepping down as Pacers president
- No new names join Packers during first round of NFL draft
- Raptors blow 25-point lead, but beat Bucks 92-89
- Steelers select TJ Watt with 30th pick
- Ryan Ramczyk selected by Saints with 32nd pick
- Bears trade up, take QB Mitch Trubisky with No. 2 pick