MILWAUKEE - Davante Gardner scored a career-high 26 points and No. 22 Marquette beat No. 12 Syracuse 74-71 on Monday night in a game that further tightened things at the top of the Big East.
Gardner played only 11 minutes in Marquette's 60-56 loss at Villanova on Saturday, with coach Buzz Williams saying he benched the junior center because "he played really bad."
Gardner was the exact opposite against the Orange, making all seven of his shots and converting 12 of 13 free throws in 33 minutes to pull Marquette (20-7, 11-4 Big East) into second place, one-half game behind No. 7 Georgetown.
C.J. Fair had 20 points for Syracuse (22-6, 10-5), which has lost three of five and dropped into a tie for fourth with No. 21 Notre Dame.
No. 10 Louisville is alone in third, a game behind Georgetown.
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Ohio State stops Wisconsin, 70-61
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame