MILWAUKEE, Wis. - The Middleton girls' soccer team is out of the state soccer playoffs after losing in the quarterfinals to Waukesha West 2-1 Thursday in Milwaukee.
Waukesha West took an early lead on a corner kick by Carly Richter in the ninth minute. They added to their lead in the second half when Dani Rhodes sneaked a kick past the goalie.
Middleton scored a late goal, but it wasn't enough for the Cardinals.
"It's just, you know, bitter sweet. You made it to state and just didn't make it to one past," said Middleton head coach Mary Duffy. "They played well in the second half, and came up just a little bit short. You know, words are pretty hard, you know. Give them a hug and we will see you next year. There are no words."
Middleton ended the season at 14-5-4.Middleton loses in state soccer tournament
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Ohio State stops Wisconsin, 70-61
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame