GRAND CHUTE, Wis. - Middleton wanted to go far in the WIAA state baseball tournament, but Hartford ended their trip to Grand Chute quickly by handing the Cardinals a 5-1 loss in the quarterfinals.
The Cardinals were up 1-0 in the 3rd, but pitcher Drew Haack got into trouble. He gave up a two-run double to Kevin Klipstein, which led to a three run inning for the Orioles.
That's all the offense Hartford needed. In the7th inning, Tanner Meinholz singles to left for Middleton, but Hartford throws Brian Lochner is out at home.
Despite the ending, Middleton is still happy they made it to state.
"It's been crazy. It's gone by super fast," said Haack. "We made a run to get here to state, and it's been incredible. Yeah, there's still some positive things, but we were hoping not to have it end this way."
The Cardinals finish the season with a 20-8 record. This was Middleton's 11th trip to the state tournament.
- Australian Open 2017: Nadal beats Zverev in four-hour epic
- Rodgers: Cold-flu won't keep him from game vs. Falcons
- Gov. Walker declares Friday ‘Green and Gold Day'
- Adams may be game-time decision on Sunday for Green Bay
- Sprained toe won't keep Jones from playing against Packers
- Pitcher Feliz joins Brewers, in mix for closer job