VERONA, Wis. - McFarland soccer upset Mt. Horeb Saturday in the D3 sectional finals. With the win, the Spartans qualified for the state tournament for the first time. Senior Sam Shackett still finds it hard to believe.
"If you would have told me three years ago that we'd be at state, I'd have said you are crazy."
Despite an abysmal 1-4-1 start to their season, McFarland has rattled off 16 straight wins. A streak that senior Nick Bultman says it was a loss that helped the team turn the corner.
"After that loss to Whitewater, that just gave us new momentum and a new fire that has carried us through. It's been great."
Now, senior Tony Donagan says, the team has just one bit of business to tend to for their dream season to become complete.
"If we win two more games, that'd be the ultimate goal."
McFarland plays Ashland in Milwaukee Thursday night at 7 p.m.
- Reports: Larry Bird stepping down as Pacers president
- No new names join Packers during first round of NFL draft
- Raptors blow 25-point lead, but beat Bucks 92-89
- Steelers select TJ Watt with 30th pick
- Ryan Ramczyk selected by Saints with 32nd pick
- Bears trade up, take QB Mitch Trubisky with No. 2 pick