HOUSTON - Joe Mauer had two hits in his return from the disabled list, including a go-ahead RBI single in the ninth inning, to help the Minnesota Twins to a 4-2 win over the Houston Astros on Monday night.
A pair of walks by Josh Fields (2-5) left runners at first and second with two outs in the ninth when Mauer hit a groundball single to left field scored Jordan Schafer. Brian Dozier also scored on the play and Mauer reached second when rookie left fielder Domingo Santana held the ball for several seconds before throwing it in.
Mauer, who doubled in the third inning, extended his hitting streak to 13 games in his first game since missing 34 with a strained muscle on his right side.
Brian Duensing (3-2) got the last two outs of the eighth inning for the win and Glen Perkins pitched a scoreless ninth for his 29th save.
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Harden leads Rockets past Bucks, 111-92
- Packers WR Adams not expected to practice until weekend
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot