MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Mallards are still battling to get to first place in the Northwoods League, and a walk-off win Wednesday helped them in their quest.
Madison Mallards center fielder Tate Matheny knocked in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth Wednesday to give the Mallards a 2-1 walk-off win over the Battle Creek Bombers.
Matheny hit a ground ball to the shortstop with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, but the throw home was late, and the Mallards walked off with the victory to go 16-10 on the season.
Right fielder Luke Meeteer of UW-Milwaukee got the other RBI for the Mallards in the bottom of the seventh, when he nailed a triple over the head of Bombers center fielder to knock in Jeff Zahn.
Mallards starter Jamie Nunn struck out eight batters but lasted just five innings. He allowed one run on five hits and walked one batter.
The Mallards start a two-game home series against the Wisconsin Woodchucks Thursday.
- Australian Open: Andy Murray cruises into 4th round
- Gov. Walker declares Friday ‘Green and Gold Day'
- Adams may be game-time decision on Sunday for Green Bay
- Sprained toe won't keep Jones from playing against Packers
- Pitcher Feliz joins Brewers, in mix for closer job
- Ohio State stops Wisconsin, 70-61