EUGENE, OR - Mary Massei hit a solo homer in the sixth inning to give the Wisconsin Badgers a 1-0 win over Albany in the opening game of the Eugene Regional of the NCAA Softball Tournament.
Massei lined the first pitch of the at bat over the left field fence - one of only two hits for the Badgers in the game.
Albany had the tying run on second with two out in the seventh, but catcher Chloe Miller threw out the runner trying to advance to end the game.
Cassandra Darrah pitched a complete game four hitter, walking two and striking out six.
Wisconsin will play Oregon in the winners bracket Saturday afternoon at 12:30 pm CT.
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Harden leads Rockets past Bucks, 111-92
- Packers WR Adams not expected to practice until weekend
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot