MILWAUKEE - Todd Mayo scored 17 points off the bench and led a second-half charge from a 10-point deficit to help Marquette beat Butler 69-62 on Tuesday night.
Mayo hit seven field goals after halftime and the Golden Eagles (13-10, 5-5 Big East) avoided a regular-season sweep to the Bulldogs (12-10, 2-8).
The junior guard riled up the crowd after tipping away a rebound for a steal, then going the length of the court for a three-point play off a layup and a 62-57 lead with 3:02 left.
Marquette pulled away from there after shutting down the paint against Butler, who got 16 points from Kellen Durham.
Freshman forward Andrew Chrabascz drove the paint for most of his 10 points, all in the second half.
Elijah Brown's jumper with 13:03 left gave Butler a 43-33 lead before Marquette started chipping away.
- Ilie Nastase suspended from tennis after Fed Cup outbursts
- Despite late runs, Cardinals beat Brewers, 6-4
- Badgers fall to Wolverines in series finale
- Thomas scores 33, Celtics beat Bulls 104-95 to tie series
- Hicks, Fulmer and Tigers rout slumping Twins 13-4
- Bronson Arroyo goes 6 innings, leads Reds over Cubs 7-5