MADISON - For the second straight night, Mallards outfielder Alex Bacon hit a critical three-run homer to lead Madison to a 10-7 win over Duluth in the first game of the Summer Collegiate World Series at Warner Park Thursday night.
Bacon's three-run ninth-inning homer Wednesday night won the South Division title at Lakeshore. Thursday's homer keyed a six-run fifth inning that turned the game against Duluth around.
Mallards centerfielder Joe McCarthy drove in two runs with two hits while second baseman John LaPrise added four hits and an RBI.
The Mallards take a one-game lead in the best-of-three championship series which now moves to Duluth for game two Friday night at 6:35 pm.
If a deciding game three is needed, it will be played in Duluth Saturday night at 6:35 pm..Mallards win game one against Duluth
- Ilie Nastase suspended from tennis after Fed Cup outbursts
- Despite late runs, Cardinals beat Brewers, 6-4
- Badgers fall to Wolverines in series finale
- Thomas scores 33, Celtics beat Bulls 104-95 to tie series
- Hicks, Fulmer and Tigers rout slumping Twins 13-4
- Bronson Arroyo goes 6 innings, leads Reds over Cubs 7-5