LA CROSSE, Wis. - The Madison Mallards used strong starting pitching and some big offense late to beat the La Crosse Loggers Monday night in Lacrosse.
The Mallards scored seven runs in the last two innings to pull away from the Loggers 11-2.
Mallards starters Reilly Hovis pitches six shutout innings to get his first victory in a Mallards uniform.
The Mallards had a 4-0 lead going into the seventh, when La Crosse tried to close the gap. The Mallards helped by committing an error and throwing a wild pitch. A single by Kevin Zak brought in two runs and closed the gap to within two.
But RBI's from Jeff Zahn and John LaPrise helped the Mallards take control again in the eighth. Zahn also hit a three-run homer in the ninth for the Mallards.
The Mallards close out their two-game set with the Loggers Tuesday. They will return home to the "Duck Pond" Wednesday for a game against the Green Bay Bullfrogs at 7:05 p.m.
- Rodgers: Cold-flu won't keep him from game vs. Falcons
- Manziel claims sobriety, targets NFL chance
- Gov. Walker declares Friday ‘Green and Gold Day'
- Adams may be game-time decision on Sunday for Green Bay
- Sprained toe won't keep Jones from playing against Packers
- Pitcher Feliz joins Brewers, in mix for closer job