MADISON, Wis. - The city of Madison will host the nation's premier rugby event in less than two weeks as our local rugby teams host the USA Rugby Emirates Airlines Senior Club National Championships at Breese Stevens Field on Saturday, May 31.
This past weekend, the national quarterfinals and semifinals determined the 10 men's and women's teams hailing from nine different states that will meet on the pitch to battle for top honors in Madison May 31.
• Visit www.madisonsports.org/rugby for information and tickets. Tickets are $10 each day or $15 for both days.
• Breese Stevens Field - 917 East Mifflin Street, Madison, WI 53703. Event organizers also encourage biking to help with parking. Extra bike racks will be provided by the Wisconsin Bike Fed.
• USA Rugby Championship Match Schedule – Saturday, May 31
o Men's Division 3 – 10:00 a.m. – Life West Gladiators (CA) vs. Old Blue New York (NY)
o Women's Division 2 – 12:15 p.m. – Sacramento Amazons (CA) vs. Pittsburgh Angels (PA)
o Men's Division 2 – 2:30 p.m. – Tempe Old Devils (AZ) vs. Rocky Gorge (MD)
o Women's Division 1 – 4:45 p.m. – Oregon Sports Union (OR) vs. Chicago North Shore (IL)
o Men's Division 1 – 7:00 p.m. – New Orleans (LA) vs. Life Running Eagles (GA)
• EXTRA FEATURES: Wisconsin's top High School boys teams will also play Sunday at 12:00 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. at Breese Stevens Field in the Wisconsin State High School Boys Rugby Championships
• This historic event is hosted by the men's and women's rugby teams of Madison United Rugby (www.rugbymadison.org) – Madison Minotaurs, Wisconsin Rugby Club, and Wisconsin Women's Rugby, with support from the Madison Area Sports Commission.
• LOCAL RUGBY: Madison rugby was represented well in national playoffs this spring. The Wisconsin Women made it to the round of 16 finishing second, 20-15, to the Pittsburgh Angels in the Midwest. The Wisconsin Men advanced even further to the Quarterfinals before falling to Rocky Gorge, 14-7.
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers