WASHINGTON - American's run to the NCAA tournament goes far beyond what the first-year coach was saying at the start of the season.
Sophomore guard Jesse Reed on Tuesday recalled how coach Mike Brennan said this season wouldn't be about "wins and losses." It would be about getting better.
Reed then smiled and added: "But we all pretty much knew that was a lie. We knew he wanted to come in and win right away."
And win the Eagles did, upsetting Boston University in the Patriot League tournament to earn an NCAA bid for only the third time in school history.
American was given a No. 15 seed and essentially a road game. The Eagles plays No. 2 seed Wisconsin in Milwaukee on Thursday.
- No new names join Packers during first round of NFL draft
- Steelers select TJ Watt with 30th pick
- Ryan Ramczyk selected by Saints with 32nd pick
- Raptors blow 25-point lead, but beat Bucks 92-89
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway to ban smoking in grandstands
- Pirates beat Cubs 6-5 as Ngoepe becomes first African in MLB