WASHINGTON - American's run to the NCAA tournament goes far beyond what the first-year coach was saying at the start of the season.
Sophomore guard Jesse Reed on Tuesday recalled how coach Mike Brennan said this season wouldn't be about "wins and losses." It would be about getting better.
Reed then smiled and added: "But we all pretty much knew that was a lie. We knew he wanted to come in and win right away."
And win the Eagles did, upsetting Boston University in the Patriot League tournament to earn an NCAA bid for only the third time in school history.
American was given a No. 15 seed and essentially a road game. The Eagles plays No. 2 seed Wisconsin in Milwaukee on Thursday.
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Harden leads Rockets past Bucks, 111-92
- Packers WR Adams not expected to practice until weekend
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot